Thursday, September 4, 2014

Interactive, Interested, and Invested= The Key to a Great Teacher


Hello Readers!

To introduce myself, I am a high school student posting blog posts for my history class. I am not a professional historian, however I will be doing lots of research to make my blogs as accurate as possible! I hope that you enjoy my blog and find it interesting! My first blog is about what makes a teacher a great teacher, and why education is important.

I think that what makes a teacher great is when they are able to have a strong, fun, and interactive relationship with their students. With 6 classes a day, and lots of sitting in classrooms with information being thrown at you, it is not possible for students to retain every detail of information. Also, students can get bored easily and they might stop listening to a long lecture of information. I think that the best way to get students to maintain information is not by long lectures and notes; it is by doing interactive activities. For example, playing games, using online study tools, or even having us get up and walk around the room to different stations helps keep us interested in the lesson. We remember the information better and longer if it is given as an activity rather than a lecture. A great teacher also loves what they do, and is truly invested in their teaching. If a teacher is enthusiastic and enjoys their subject and their class, then their attitude rubs off on their students, and their students are inspired to love that subject too. Lastly, I think a great teacher strives to have a strong relationship with their students so that their students feel comfortable to ask questions and engage themselves during class. With this relationship, the teacher can also help motivate their students. My favorite teacher had all of these qualities, and I learned more in his class than I have in any other class. He was fun and interactive, yet stayed focused and taught us a lot. And, he had an overall love for math. I think that Mrs. Gallagher has already showed us that she is very invested in her teaching, and something that I also find helps support me is knowing that I can approach my teacher with any questions that I may have.

                With a great teacher also comes a great education. John Green posted a YouTube video recently on his thoughts about education and why it is so important. I really liked this video and I completely agree with it. He presented a timeline that showed up to 10,000 years ago, and he highlighted when primary education became mandatory, as shown below. It is only a very small percentage of this timeline that formal education has been available to everyone. It is crazy to think that for a huge part of human history there was no education for most people. It makes me feel thankful that I have an opportunity to get such a great education so that I can keep growing and gaining more knowledge.

Picture from John Green's YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x78PnPd-V-A
John Green also says that he believes in and pays for public education because he wants the people around him in the world to have lots of knowledge. After students get their education, they go on to use that knowledge to improve the world. They can make new medicines, new technologies, new cars, or do anything else, big or small, that helps to advance the world. I want to use this message as a motivation to use my education that I am so lucky to have to do great things, and so can my peers. Humankind has made so many amazing advances in all different subjects since formal education became mandatory, and it is very important. Below I have attached the video on education by John Green:

                 My academic goals for this year are to continue to work hard and persevere through all my work, and to manage my time wisely. I will achieve these goals through staying organized and on task while I am working. Outside of school, I am a dancer, and my goal for dance is to grow as an artist when I dance by connecting emotionally with my music. I hope that I have a great school year this year, and I will put my best effort into my education!

No comments:

Post a Comment